Tuesday 24 December 2013

Carry On at Christmas

British postcard published by B.B. (Birn Brothers) Ltd, London. 

This is one of a number of designs produced during the First World War to help bring hope and good wishes at Christmas. Whilst the verse on the card was written with all good intention the lines "Be sure to keep hope in your line of sight" and "...face the music with all your might" make very light work and seemingly undermine the seriousness of the effects of war. Nevertheless, festive postcards with verse were popular expressions of the era.
On the back of this postcard a New Zealand soldier has written a brief message to family;

"Dear Joe and Annie,
Just a line to let you know that I am still in good health and having a good time. Hoping this small card finds you both in the same way. The Christmas cards here are very poor, but I know you will think just as much of this as if it were an expensive one. Well Joe and Annie I told you all the news in my last letter and as I have a lot to send tonight I will have to conclude with best wishes. From your loving brother, A.E. Sutton."

What became of soldier A.E. Sutton is unknown. I hope he was able to 'carry on' and restore some normality to his life after the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment